If you have been charged with driving while intoxicated (DWI), you may feel hopeless and believe there is nothing you can do. Do not despair. There are defenses to the charge and you need an experienced, aggressive attorney on your side to protect your rights. Jeff Lahann is a Southern New Mexico DWI defense lawyer with more than 20 years of experience defending thousands of people who have been charged with a DWI. He knows what to expect from the prosecutor and is not afraid to aggressively fight to protect your rights.
Potential consequences of a DWI conviction.
A conviction for DWI in New Mexico carries life-changing and expensive consequences. Even a first time offender is facing:
- Mandatory jail time.
- A huge fine.
- Suspension or revocation of your driver’s license.
- Dramatic increase in your car insurance that will be in effect for several years.
- A conviction on your record that you will have to report on job and loan applications for the rest of your life.
- Possible child custody and visitation issues if you are divorced or in the process of getting a divorce.
- Possible loss of your job. At a minimum, you will lose wages due to time off work to spend time in jail or appear in court.
- An ignition interlock control device will be installed in your car requiring you to blow into it before your car will start.
You will also be required to pay court costs in addition to any costs associated with probation and the ignition control device. If you have a prior DWI conviction, the penalties are even greater.
Call Jeff Lahann at the Lahann Law Firm as soon as possible. He will meet with you for a consultation in order to evaluate your case and explore with you the best way to proceed. He has the knowledge and experience to defend your case in court and believes your best defense is a good lawyer.